I thought it would do a post to document our garden. For the past few years we have pretty much only grown tomatoes, peppers & herbs. We love to grow tomatoes and I stew them to make spaghetti sauce. I make a few large batches late August/early September and freeze it for the whole year.
This year we dreamed BIG and expanded from two small raised beds to a HUGE 28 x 22 garden (we also kept the small beds for beans & herbs). We wanted everything to be GMO free, organic & mostly heirloom. I am so proud that everything has done really well except our broccoli. I am not really sure what happened because the broccoli was one of the few things we purchased from a local farm. Mostly everything else we grew from seed.
Tomatoes, green & yellow squash, broccoli, lettuce & onions
Tomatoes, carrots, swiss chard, onions & beets
Corn
This is Savannah with our first real "harvest"
This was tonight's dinner.
Green beans & tomatoes from our garden. Summer squash casserole with squash & onion from our garden. Popover made with eggs from of hens. Spice rubbed chicken breast from the meat birds that we raised.
Our hens
I hope to do a post on our chickens at some point. They are so wonderful & we just love them! They are our girls.


Wow - that is so impressive. And how fun is it to have a garden for your kids to see and enjoy and be proud of!!?
ReplyDeleteWe have a smallish raised bed, but we have loved our garden this year. And we have been very successful except for our cucumbers. It looks like we have one just about ready to pick, but that's it. Ha!
I seriously LOVE your garden and wish I was your neighbor and could run over and "borrow" fresh produce :) I had the BEST of intentions in starting my first garden this year, I had the plots made and everything, but then D's master's classes happened and we decided to rent a house to be close to him, etc. My garden plans fell apart...sigh. I am hoping to buy and make pickles for my pantry in the next week though and we have a local farmer who sells his amazing sweet corn and other things too that I hope to can/freeze for the upcoming months. I'm so impressed with all the hard work you have put in!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I miss you blogging...I've been bad at it too :-)
Miss you!!!
ReplyDeleteYour garden is amazing! I am so jealous and really want to do this ourselves this year! So neat to have a meal like that of your own foods.
Oh and I need to do a chicken post soon because... we are getting them!!! :) Our coop is ready and just waiting for the chickens. Can't wait!