Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Blood Test

This morning I had to bring my little buddy for a blood test.  His doctor suspects that he may have a milk allergy.  I guess she thinks he may be allergic to something in milk that is causing his eczema.  She said that people can have two different types of allergies with milk.  The first (most common) would result in belly pain & bloody diapers.  The second would result in a skin rash like Shane's.  I am really hoping Shane doesn't have an allergy.  It would mean no regular (pasteurized) milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese or ice cream.  All of those things are Shane's favorites.


I was really dreading this appointment.  I figured he would freak out so I made the appointment for when Savannah would be at school.  It would absolutely break her heart to see her brother upset like I was expecting.  Knowing her she would probably kick the phlebotomist in the shins!  Lol!  But my boy was a super star!  They had to stick him twice and HE DIDN'T CRY AT ALL!!!  He was absolutely amazing!  I am so proud of him.  I was also happy because the waiting room is right next to where the chair and there was a little girl there, about 3, who was up next.  She kept telling her Mommy that she was scared for her turn.  This was really pulling on my heart string!  So I was so happy Shane didn't get upset since it would have scared that little angel even more.

5 comments:

  1. What a big boy! I know my little one would have cried and cried. Go Shane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the test comes back clear. I know Chloe would have screamed too, just like she did with her shots last week. Broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I really hope the test comes back negative for little Shane. Although I guess he isn't so little anymore...eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many allergies and auto immune disorders that can cause eczema rash besides allergy to dairy. My sister has had a severe case of eczema all of her life, and dairy is one of the things she's NOT allergic to. She is allergic to gluten, though, among other things. I hope Shane doesn't have a dairy allergy because it makes things tough for you :( If he comes back ok with dairy but still has bad eczema, you can bring him to an allergist and get to the bottom of the problem. Best of luck! Shane is a brave little trooper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little fella (although so glad he did so well at the doctor's.. what a champ!!).. but more poor little fella if the results come back positive. I sure hope they don't. No one should have to go without dairy, especially as he loves all of those things :(

    ReplyDelete